Oh what a tangled blog I
weave mangle. I thought it would take a few posts and days to document the work I started in April to use the then beta features of WordPress 3 to develop the NMC’s MIDEA web site. And just trying to write up the last few, I can see it is a heap.
So while I have maybe two more to write up, I wanted to make this to be the hub post to all the others. You can also find these (and whatever comes in the future) tagged here as wp3 http://cogdogblog.com/tag/wp3/.
- Overview of WordPress 3.0 Content Types– my plans to dive in
- Creating the content types. The easiest part, and the beauty of functions.php
- Leveraging child themes– my newly discovered best practice for chopping apart themes.
- Adding the meta data field editing boxes (add_post_meta). This is how we augment the standard post editing screens. Hacking the Editing fields. Code heavy.
- Modifying templates to display the content Mastering the four flavors of WordPress Loops. This is where it got really long, broke it inot one post per content type I created.
- Dressing up and Displaying WordPress 3 Custom Post Content (a) – generating output for the projects and single project pages
- Pinning WordPress 3 Custom Content to the Map (b) – Templates for the organization content types- using geolocation meta-data to generate dynamic google maps.
- Posts in Time WordPress 3 Custom Content for Events (c) TBD
- What’s Next? – TBD
Also, since the code got long in the posts and because someone nicely asked, I packaged up all the template files described into a single collection. A few non-essential layout elements are removed, but functionally, it is ripped from my themes directory. You can get the most up to date version at
This is complex stuff; I just kept banging my head against the keyboard until it worked. I’m sorry but I cant really debug your specific projects- but am putting all my work here on the freebie table.
The post "Roundup WordPress 3.0 Custom Content Type" was originally thawed from a previous ice age and melted at CogDogBlog (http://cogdogblog.com/2010/07/roundup-wp3/) on July 23, 2010.