CDB cat dog-egories:

January 13, 2005

Note: CogDogBlog has a new WordPress powered home at http://cogdogblog.com/. All entries from this version have been moved there, so as a guide dog service try finding this article in its new home by title search.

Build Your Own DeliciousFurlBagConnotea Marklet Maker

I recently wrote of some JavaScript glue-ing I did to create a tool that allows my to take any web page in view, and submit it with one click to Furl, del.icio.us, Connotea, and our own Bag of URLs (see A Cup of Connotea: A New del.icio.us Flavor of Social Bookmarking (and now a 4 in 1 bookmark tool)).

Since then, I've gotten a pile of e-mail requests (well actually 2) for help in constructing different variations ("I just want Furl and del.icio.us"), which seemed enough justification to sit down and spin a PHP tool that allows you to select any combination of these 4 into one tool, all your own.

Meet the DeliciousFurlBagConnotea Marklet Maker.

Are there other web site submission sites that out to be tossed into this virtual Leatherman?

Update: I should not have whipped this up so fast, there is some slop. I have revised the tool to provide an input field to accept del.icio.us usernames, and cleaned up a JavaScript gotcha that was messing up Firefox. The problem child browser now is Internet Explorer, and right now, it does not work in IE (cursing their JS implementation). I'll have to defer this to later.

Update: I've got it working now (maybe) having tested on Safari, Firefox, IE 5.2, NetScape 7 (Mac) and Firefox, NetScape 7, and IE 6 (Windows).

blogged January 13, 2005 11:08 PM :: category [ web dev ]
Comments About "Build Your Own DeliciousFurlBagConnotea Marklet Maker"
RSS Feed for comments on this entry
RSS Feed for all CDB comments

You have GOT to be kidding me. I remember you posting about this and decided I wanted in on it this very evening. So I searched cogdogblog for "bookmarks" but the first URL I found was for your post back in October when you rolled this out as a 3-in-one. I hacked your javascript to work the way I want it (rather than email and ask you to do it) and I've been happily playing with it for the last hour. I refresh my RSS feeds and you've build a handy tool! It seems I am always 30 seconds too impatient.

Commented by: Cheryl Colan on January 14, 2005 12:44 AM

And another thing...

You might include in your instructions that folk will have better luck with the del.icio.us part of your cool tool if they replace your username with their own before pasting into their bookmarks.

Just a suggestion.

Commented by: Cheryl Colan on January 14, 2005 12:49 AM

Yet again I chime in. Had you seen Ryan Tomayko's "Experimental del.icio.us Posting Interface Thing Generator"? It's here:

For some reason your javascript would not pull the URL into the del.icio.us popup for me using Firefox 1.0 on my Windows XP machine. I tweaked it and got it working, then found the above site.

Commented by: Cheryl Colan on January 14, 2005 01:11 AM

If i do replace the delicious username in the code with my own, i can't re-generate the bookmark...otherwise how do i cut n'paste the code and make it into a hyperlink so i can drag it to my links bar...I would ask the lazyweb.com but i don't have trackback

Commented by: John Tropea on January 14, 2005 02:04 AM

John,

You should be able to edit the properties of the Favorite you have already created. I am not near a Windows machine right now, but I am sure the option is there.

Cheryl- thanks for catching the user name goof-- I'll need to make that a form field option, and I need to test the JavaScript some more. I got abit over confident I could whip it together in 30 minutes. What changes did youy have to make to get it working???

Commented by: Alan Levine on January 14, 2005 06:42 AM

Sorry for the slow response, but I've been fiddling with this on and off as my own computer has begun randomly shutting off, generally at terribly inconvenient times.

Anyway! I don't remember the initial changes I made, as I have modified them even further after looking at the javascript the del.icio.us site now generates. I just noticed an "experimental post to del.icio.us," which they say works in internet explorer, mozilla, and safari, at http://del.icio.us/about. That code follows, with USERNAME substituted for mine:

javascript:location.href='http://del.icio.us/new/USERNAME?v=2&url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)

What I like about the above favelet is that in addition to filling in the url field and putting the document title in the description field, it shows you your existing tags and generates a list of recommended tags.

But I wanted a popup window to roll into yours, so I looked at the "popup post to del.icio.us" bookmarklet code as well (again with the USERNAME substitution):

javascript:q=location.href;p=document.title;void(open('http://del.icio.us/USERNAME?v=2&noui=yes&jump=close&url='+encodeURIComponent(q)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(p),'delicious', 'toolbar=no,width=700,height=250'));

What I ended up doing is rolling their popup favelet and their "experimental post to del.icio.us" favelet together to make the latter a popup. When that worked properly I rolled it into yours. What I got is below, though so far I have only tested it in Safari, and beware, I have tweaked the window size to suit myself:

javascript:t=getSelection();d=document;u=d.location.href;q=location.href;p=document.title;window.open('http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/eye/bag/drop_bm.php?title='+escape(d.title)+ '&url='+escape(u)+'&descrip='+escape(t),'_blank', 'scrollbars=yes,width=620,height=480,status=yes,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes');void(open('http://del.icio.us/new/USERNAME?v=2&url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title),'delicious', 'toolbar=no,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,width=800,height=400'));

Hope this has been helpful. Sorry it looks wonky. I can't stop your site from converting URLs to links.

Cheryl

Commented by: Cheryl on January 15, 2005 11:52 AM

Thanks Cheryl for the tip on the new del.icio.us popup. Also added a new tool for Frassle (a new service). Only issue now is needing to find a way for Firefox to pop windows to front.

Commented by: Alan Levine on January 16, 2005 11:23 AM

Firefox popping behind doesn't bother me much but it would be nice to solve. I'll keep my eyes open.

Since you keep adding more sites, you may have to change the page title to something short & sweet, like "Multi-Boomkarklet Tool."

del.icio.us frassle-furled tea-bag?

Commented by: Cheryl Colan on January 16, 2005 12:24 PM

Nice job, Alan! You can also add a referrer field to your Furl pop-up. The parameter to pass to Furl is "r" and you can grab the value with "d.referrer". We're rolling out new bookmarklets that will include that next week (but the backend has supported it for a month or two). If you have any Furl questions, just let me know.

Commented by: Mike Giles on January 20, 2005 11:13 AM

Hello,

Just wondering wether you plan to add CiteUlike [http://www.citeulike.org/] to the list of open online bookmark managers available for the bookmarklet ?
Thanks for the tool anyway !

Commented by: marlene on February 3, 2005 05:03 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Marlene, CiteULike is now added to the toolset:

Commented by: Alan Levine on February 3, 2005 09:47 AM

Spammers Have Force Our Hands...
spamroach.jpg
Note: Those nasty blog-spamming roaches have forced us to take action to prevent their spread- all entries made to this blog will remain open for comments for 30 days after the original posting date. After that, it is old news anyhow, correct?

If you really need to make contact with the chief dog around here, please submit a request via our feedback center