I don’t regularly use high falutin’ words like “colophon”, but here are this here blog’s kibbles and bits that make it hum (sometimes there is some indigestion). For what it is worth, this blog is powered by cogs, dogs, and WordPress.
Check the Wayback Machine for snapshots back to December 2005.
A few milestones along the way.
- April 13, 2003 – Blog first appears running in MovableType 2.661, running on an Apple XServe at Maricopa, — this site now archived at http://cogdogblog.com/alan
- April 26, 2005 – Blog migrated to WordPress 1.5, some 800+ entries carried with it as http://jade.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/cdb/, see Internet Archive
- July 20, 2005 – Thanks to a suggestion from Steve Dembo, I registered the domain cogdogblog.com as a short hand URL.
- January 5, 2006 – The blog, posts, stock and barrel, were moved from a server at Maricopa to some free hosting offered by Audree (wonder if she knew the traffic she was getting into?) This was a fortunate move, as at the time I did not know I’d be leaving Maricopa in April
- December 18, 2006 – Due to malicious traffic, Audree was forced to boot me from her server (she was very nice about it, and I understood), so I signed up for hosting at DreamHost, who are just awesome….. well sort of, they do crap on you sometimes.
- August 4, 2008 – I am dumping old rigid categories for tags. Tag cloud now on sidebar, old categories converted to tags, but a lot of old posts need re-tagging. Lots of “old”!
- December 26, 2009 – More than four years passed since I last changed the blog theme, so here I am decked out in a new look with the hoPE theme by Patrick– what I liked was the flicker gallery stream embedded in the header.
- February 25, 2012 This blog has broken free of the commercial web hosts and joined friends at HippieHosting, a web host co-op started by Tim Owens. How cool is it to get tech support from a friend? In march 2014, the Hippies were folded into the more robust Reclaim Hosting.
- February 1, 2014 Set up a CloudFlare account to spread the dog load across the internets.
- November 18, 2014 This time a five year gap in a theme updated, the start of a responsive makeover with the Welite Theme
WordPress Nuts, Bolts, and Duct Tape
Plugins that are stewn around like a pile of dog toys include:
- Admin Bar Backend Search by Dominik Schilling.
- Akismet by Automattic.
- Artiss Plugins List by David Artiss.
- Creative Commons Configurator by George Notaras.
- Custom Admin Bar by Ve Bailovity (Incsub).
- Display Posts Shortcode by Bill Erickson.
- FeedWordPress by Charles Johnson.
- Feedwordpress Advanced Filters by Bas Schuiling.
- FluidVids for WordPress by Ulrich Pogson.
- FWP+: Add Attribution by Charles Johnson.
- Jetpack by WordPress.com by Automattic.
- Limit Login Attempts by Johan Eenfeldt.
- Preserve Code Formatting by Scott Reilly.
- Quotes Collection by Srini G.
- Social by Crowd Favorite.
- Subscribe To Comments by Mark Jaquith.
- SyntaxHighlighter Plus by Fred Wu.
- Twitter Friendly Links by Konstantin Kovshenin.
- Twitter Tools by Crowd Favorite.
- WPaudio by Todd Iceton.
- WP No Category Base by iDope.
cc licensed (BY-NC-ND) flickr photo by splorp: http://flickr.com/photos/splorp/8635226552