CDB cat dog-egories:

September 29, 2004

Note: CogDogBlog has a new WordPress powered home at http://cogdogblog.com/. All entries from this version have been moved there, so as a guide dog service try finding this article in its new home by title search.

MLX Says, "Thanks for All the Spam"!

The fight goes on. Spammers keep trying to thrust their links to pharmaceutical and gambling and whatever crap.com sites via the Maricopa Learning eXchange comments. Today, some hours were spent making sure all new comments were not made visible, so after submitting the form, they should see that nothing has been added.

Don't you think a spammer would get a clue they are wasting their time? Nahh, that assumes some level of intelligence.

Their spam is going right into the can!

I have things in place to ensure the submissions are coming from our form and not spawned by a script.

They latest tool is an email notification that will go to the MLX package owner, and allow them a one click option to trash a comment or make it visible. It should be running tomorrow.

It sure woudl be nice to develop some new resources than waste time with the roaches.

Crunch! There goes another phenedrine pusher!

blogged September 29, 2004 06:00 PM :: category [ mlx ]
Comments About "MLX Says, "Thanks for All the Spam"!"
RSS Feed for comments on this entry
RSS Feed for all CDB comments

Alan, I am bloglining you blog for some time now (itīs one of my daily reads) and I am following your journey against the roaches in comments and on wikis with some kind of tension. Have you ever thought of implementing captchas (http://www.captcha.net/) for every comment and every editing in your wiki? I think this would be a way for dividing human-beings from spam-robots (if the spam is not done manually)...

Commented by: Marco on September 30, 2004 04:31 PM

Hi Marco,

Thanks for stepping up to the comment podium.

I looked a bit at captcha's and have not tossed them out completely. I have implemented some encrypted keys and checks to make sure the comment input is coming from our forms and not script generated; this is done behind the scenes.

From what I can see in terms of when these things ar eposted and what they are, it soure likes like one stinkin' spam roach (and pfffff to you if you are reading this you scum of the earth) who keeps pasting the stoopid links in our site.

But spammers are like, really dumb! Totally! Like if you were trying to spam us, and you submitted your 50 links to gambling-poker.com and cheap-v*agra.com and beastiality-fotos.org and they never appeared on our site, would you keep trying? Are you that low on the IQ scale? Well?

Listen up spammer (that's not you, Marco)-- all comments are going into the holding tank, and we are shooting them down before they enter our site.

However, wikis are a bit harder to mess with- you have to get deeper in the code. Right now, i amworking on a schme of banning by IP the entire south asian continent. I apologize to the good intentioned souls there, but you really ought to rally and clamp down on all the spammers who live there and are giving y'all a bad name (I am kidding about IP banning Asia, I could not do that if I tried).

Commented by: Alan Levine on September 30, 2004 05:21 PM

One thing I've done on my family blog is to automatically post any comment that doesn't have links. If there is even one link, I have to approve it. That way most of my posters get the immediate satisfaction of seeing there comment in print. Because it's my family site no one ever puts in a URL. But even if they did I can approve them pretty quickly. Spam always has a URL, so it always gets caught. So spam only wastes my time, it doesn't offend my family with nasty links.

Commented by: Ben Brophy on October 1, 2004 11:00 AM

That's an intersting idea, Ben... are you doing this now in MovableType??

I can wrap that into the MLX comments. Right now, all new comments are set with a visibllity tag of 0 meaning they are not displayed, and I am sending an email with a link that will either toggle them visible or trash them. I could perhaps make it so comments w/o HTML are initially visible.

I am also setting up a blacklists based on IPs of identified spammers.

Hey SPAMMERS! Are you readin' this? Your stuff is going right to the dung pile!!!!

Commented by: Alan Levine on October 1, 2004 12:31 PM

I'm using WordPress, which comes with the option to set a number of links that can be in a comment before it has to be approved. Most spam seems to come with at least 4 links, so I could may loosen the control a little.

Commented by: Ben Brophy on October 3, 2004 05:26 PM

Spammers Have Force Our Hands...
spamroach.jpg
Note: Those nasty blog-spamming roaches have forced us to take action to prevent their spread- all entries made to this blog will remain open for comments for 30 days after the original posting date. After that, it is old news anyhow, correct?

If you really need to make contact with the chief dog around here, please submit a request via our feedback center