People of the west don’t have much use for excuses.
So I am done. So I am shooting some blog bullets as an intro.
- The first 2.5 decades of my life were stuck on the east coast. I never set foot in the west or saw its immense sky and mountains til I was 24. That Wyoming sky changed everything. I have lived in Arizona since 1987 and cannot see putting roots anywhere else. Within reach are iconic western locations, real ranches, I see cowboys on horses (carrying cell phones) in my town. In a few hours I could be in Monument Valley or Tombstone. And I might just do it soon again.
- I’ve been tossing stuff on the web since 1993. And I am not stopping or slowing down. This here blog has been running since 2003. And it’s not stopping or slowing.
- I’ve been part of ds106 since it’s first open iteration in 2011 as an open participant, as a teacher of in person classes at University of Mary Washington (UMW), as online teacher of it for UMW and for George Mason University. I’ve worked on and expanded the web sites, like the Assignment Bank and the Daily Create, and also tending to the giant Feed Syndication machine. The work I did at DS106 spread even rather to the YouShow at Thompson Rivers University and the Agora project for the University of Guadalajara. I am #4life.
- Through this DS106 work I have amped up every bit of my technical toolkit including a blogging way, wordpress development, taking the Feed Syndication to many other places. Each bit of the way I have gotten better at animated GIFs, remaking images in Photoshop, digital photography, editing audio, editing video, and producing remixes. I am far from my peak. I do all my work on a 13″ MacBookPro (I don’t do Windows) and like where possible to use low tech media tools (e.g. I shoot most videos on my iPad and iPhone). I’ve been known to tack a green screen in my living room or bang around under my house to record an audio scene.
- Despite my online names, domains, tatoo, icons I have no dog. There is a reason. And it might change this year.
- I refuse to take myself seriously. If I cut myself down first, it saves you the trouble.
As for the cowboy / western stuff… thats another post. This is the howdy one.
Top / featured image credit: flickr photo by cogdogblog http://flickr.com/photos/cogdog/23431356254 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license