For those who know and get to work with Terry, those are some extra large sized shoes.
I try on Terry’s shoe pic.twitter.com/vY5wDD6vhL
— Alan Levine (@cogdog) May 25, 2018
I’ve had the fortune to know Terry since in curiosity he wandered into a “Western” DS106 class I was plotting (the class never happened but Terry rode along).
Twice during May I remotely joined into the orientation sessions Terry and eCampus Ontario colleague Lena Patterson have been running as an orientation for the West cohort of Extend participants. The joke is I am in the far west as I am moved into a new location in Saskatchewan (the far far west). I’m appreciative eCampus Ontario is supporting my work from afar as I am hoping to not travel too much these days.
So I am picking up Terry’s show in supporting the people in this cohort who are working on their own path through the 6 Extend Modules. They are going at their own pace and path, but we are aiming for a post each week tied to the modules by a previous participant, we are organizing these posts as Ideas from Lead Extenders.
I’m also taking over the refueling of the Daily Extend activities. We all know it will be hard for Terry to stop, he’s brilliant at devising dailies. I’m also working on adding a few new activities in the Bank, my newest ones include:
- Class Exploder for Teacher for Learning: “Class Exploder is an Ontario Extend activity where teachers take apart a single class plan, and piece by piece, tell the story of how it was made. Each blog post is produced and edited by a teacher who produced the materials. Using their notes, memory, influences, this activity asks teachers to delve into the specific decisions that went into creating a class plan.”
- Archive, Analyze and Visualize Tweets with Your Own Twitter TAGS Worksheet “a Google Spreadsheet created by Martin Hawksey to automatically save copies of tweets to a Google Spreadsheet for a specific hashtag or search item. By collecting this data, the spreadsheet offers a number of ways to view a summary of the activity, including a visualized ‘Conversation Explorer'”
I’ve got ideas for more.
As Western Cohort schedule winds down in June, I’m thinking about (and taking request line calls, that was the whole start on the radio station metaphor, which I am likely rather far from right now) some ideas for things I can do/offer this summer.
- Live Lunch Hour Sessions Terry and I talked about scheduling some mid-day (your time, not mine) drop n sessions I could run for Zoom, maybe to demo stuff, or help with technical issues, blogging, media, brainstorming.
- As Needed WordPress Help I’ve done most of my web work in WordPress and I know it fairly well. For those wanting some help with advanced topics, especially if you are running your own version, I can help. All the Extend sites you are using are ones I have made in WordPress, and I have a collection of simple “calling card themes” and things called SPLOTs that I can help people get going. I’ll be doing a series of blog posts on various how-to that will show up on the Domains hub site.
- Virtually Connecting Find out how to be part of this volunteer organization that aims that “extends” PD by connecting people attending conferences with others who cannot via a Google Hangout. Our own Helen Dewaard is a regular participant and expert organizer.
- Domain Camp For those who are using hosted blog services (Blogger, WordPress.com, et al) and might be ready to move up to a domain where they could manage these sites (and do more), we have a number of coupon codes for getting your domain hosted with Reclaim Hosting. We could run a series of demos, activities that are summarized in our Domain Guide, but perhaps go through them together.
- Other S-T-U-F-F. I’d be glad to help people with media creation (photography, digital imagery, audio/video editing), management of media, using tools like H5P, finding web-based tools, find and attribute open licensed content, sorting out Creative Commons, or heck, any other ideas you would like to spend some time yourself extending this summer.
Operators at station CBEX are standing by for your Summer of Extending requests (that means please leave some comments below).
Featured Image: A remix of a scene from the old TV show WKRP where they were taking requests. The relevance here is thin, but fun. I am a bit addicted to Photoshop remixing.