At 8:00 AM EST today I was keynoting the K12 Online Conference while at a beach hotel in Western Puerto Rico.
Well not exactly. At 8:00 AM I already on the road, driving back to San Juan for my flight to Chicago. But I was keynoting. This is because this online conference, the presentations are pre-recorded.
I was asked to do one for the Stories of Connections strand of the conference, so it was a no thought plan to bring back my True Stories of Connection. I’ve been asking, pestering, nagging, begging for new stories since July. And in keeping with my philosophy of looking at the partly full glass, I actually had plenty of material to work with (though more is always the problem I dream of).
These stories are already in video, so there’s not a whole lot of use in my just making a video of videos, so i aimed, as when I presenting these, to introduce the stories, and play short key segments. In doing the editing for this one, which came in at a fat 40 minutes (but includes more than 20 stories) I also pulled some quotes from each as a closing message.
Enough babble here is show:
You can find all of the new stories situated at http://stories.cogdogblog.com/collections/k12-online/, but just to express my appreciation, here they all are:
- Amazing CONnections (Brian Metcalfe)
- Childish Openness, or, Dammit, Babies, You’ve Got To Be Kind (Joe Murphy)
- Manzanita & Amazing Connections (Andy McKiel)
- Real Connections (Ken Bauer)
- The Conditioned (Shalla Monteiro)
- Connecting With a Neighbor Via a Shared Flickr Photo (Sandy Brown Jensen)
- My Dad, Frank Larkin (John Larkin)
- Connecting (and Visiting Hawaii) Via DS106 (Sandy Brown Jensen)
- A Dog Named Jimmy (Rafael Mantesso)
- (Dis)connections (Simon Ensor)
- Ten True Stories of Openness (Amy Burvall)
- An Unexpected (Connected) Journey (Aaron Davis)
- Why Open? (Greg McVerry)
- Doors, Doors, Doors (Mariana Funes)
- A Blog – Cello – Arizona – Taco Connection Story (Laura Ritchie)
- JISC’s Use of Alan’s Photos (David Kernohan)
- 105theHive Student Radio #Radio4Learning (Heather Durnin)
- Connections and Poems (Kevin Hodgson and #rhizo15)
- From LinkedIn to Collaboratory Zone (Claudia L’Amoreaux)
- A Story of Connections DS106 and the Ed Administrator (Kathy Onarheim)
- I Heart Vine Videos (Andy Mead)
- It Started with a Story (Cathy Dohn)
- Clavier No Boundaries (Teresa MacKinnon)
- A Wack Sack of Socks (Dean Shareski)
- Somebody I’d Like To Have A Beer With (Alyson Indrunas)
- Guitars, Amps, Cables, and Pedals (Alan Levine)
Two were ones not directly submitted, but ones I found. I missed a few more because… well, user error. But they are in the collection.
For what it’s worth, this was my call for stories (and the door is still open) filmed on the Mogollon Rim above my home town in Arizona, and with some nifty music made for me by David Kernohan
And then a followup plea where I stooped to using a stuffed animal as a character
I appreciate the stories so much, but have to single out one in particular by Brian Metcalfe, who so “got” what I hoped for, he played a nice gag, and just writes up his stuff so thoroughly. I am in awe of your CON, Brian.
I am pleased as a pickle to see the K12 Online Conference still motoring along. I think my first presentation for them was back in 2006 blabbing about free web tools!
Okay, the keynote is done, but that does not mean you are off the hook for sharing a story. My apple pie in the sky hope is that people who make connections during the conference, will share back a story. What would it take for that to happen?
I wish I knew, but here is the place to drop one off
Top / Featured image credit. My photo. The last of a pack of wild dogs I saw running on a beach in Rincon, Puerto Rico. Silly dogs. Why attribute your own photos? Silly humans. flickr photo by cogdogblog http://flickr.com/photos/cogdog/22279878542 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license
The post "Keynoting from a Beach: Stories of Connection for the K12 Online Conference" was originally pulled charred and crispy from a smoky charred oven at CogDogBlog (https://cogdogblog.com/2015/10/keynoting-from-a-beach-stories-of-connection-for-the-k12-online-conference/) on October 19, 2015.