So it was time to put my money where my snout was… After waffling about screencasting, I decided to give it a go. Downloading the Windows Media Encoder was not too bad. I played a bit, not really sure of the various settings for the encoding.
I sketched out my topics, figured out which URLs to have open in Firefox (you have to love tabbed browsing, apparently that has not boarded the cluetrain in the MSIE shop), and gave it a go. I am not nearly as smooth as Jn Udell, and one of my demo links was kafloooey (bad), but oh well. It is a go. It ended up as a 16 Mb .wm file. Big.
Since some folks do not like sending their Canadian dollars to Macromedia, I did a quick check out and downloaded a trila versions of SwishVideo to convert the big file to Flash format.. which somehow managed to end up as a 16 Mb .swf (I tried a range of settings to make it smaller, this was as tiny as I could get)
Okay so here that are, but remember, I am an amateur:
http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/mlx/show/ocotillo05/mlx_rss.wmv (does not stream but downloads)
In summary, it was not all that hard to do, and with practice, I can see that it is effective. I need to get a better grip on the software settings and features. Stay tuned to my new category.
The My First (sloppy) ScreenCast by CogDogBlog, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.